This August I began a journey that turned out lots different than what I originally thought it would be like, of course thats been this whole past year, but that is a different story entirely, the one I was refering to involved two adorable bunnies that I named Belladonna and Tuffy. I bought them at work. It was Belladonnas fault really as she captivated me with her beautiful, black rimmed, hazel eyes and each time I saw someone looking at her I willed them not to choose her. Tuffy was chosen because he was so sweet and gentle, and oh so handsome. I had hoped he was a she, but he wasn't and defiantly isn't a she.
Tuffy and Belladonna
A short two weeks later Bells and Tuffy were joined by a new friend, my sweet little Aspen who was a gift from a friend needing to find him a new home. For a while my three little bunnies lived happliy together along with my chinchilla Mia, who loved the newfound freedom and space outside.
Aspen
As my little bunnies grew it soon became apparent that Aspen and Tuffy were defiantly boys and that Belladonna was defiantly a girl, the boys noticed also. I hopes of preventing a quick bunny population growth I seperated the boys from the girls, but as I was soon to find out Tuffy was quicker than me.
On October 8th, 2011 my three became eight.
I have learned alot about bunnies throughout this adventure as I have reasearched about rabbits and how ot care for them, for instance, did you know a rabbit only feeds her young once every 12-24 hours! Crazy! It's been fun watching the babies grow and develop from tiny, pink, hairless babies whos eyes were firmly closed into fuzzy little bundles of energy that keep me scrambling! Marie is an albino with the reddest eyes you've ever seen, she (I think its a she) is so beautiful and fun to watch, she loves food just like her mom! Dorian is white and brown and has short hair like her mom. Indiana was the first baby to go adventuring and gave me quite a fright one afternoon when I couldn't find the little stinker, he is also super sweet to snuggle with. Talouse is very unique as he has wavy hair, he is so funny as him and Marie explore together. He has the funniest little moustache. And the fifth babies name is Bandit as he/she has a cute little mask around each eye. Bandit is one of the cuddliest and is so cute with lighter grey markings and long fluffy hair!
Bells and Dorian, Bunny Kisses
Talouse, Marie, Dorian, Bandit and Mia
Indiana
Marie, Talouse and Bells
On November 14th I received another surprise, as Belladonna again had babies. Tuffy could apparently climb fences, a situation now remedied, but apparently too late. This time she had six. Today when I went outside I found three of my week old babbies venturing out of their box for the first time, crazy since their eyes are only just beginning to open.
One day old
I have also learned about when Bunnies get sick. That part has been hard but I have learned alot, including that I can be a worry wart Bunny mama. Rabbits don't get sick very often and when they do it can be bad.Tuffy sneezed some mucus up one day which began a very stressful week for me as I ran him to the vet and spent the next seven days giving him two shots a day. He was such a great patient! Aspen also gave me a fright that week as well when he stopped eating and drinking as much and acting mopey. He too was ran to the vet who said he wasn't dehydrated, thank goodness, and that if I wanted I could give him what was left of the bottle of medicine he gave me for Tuffy. One heat lamp later, and lots of snuggle time and both boys seem to be on the mend. Neither seems to be eating as much, especially Aspen but as they are acting fairly normal I am trying to not over react or make assumptions. So, that has been my bunny adventure so far, I had forgotten how much fun bunnies can be, and I never knew they could be so much work. Despite the ups and downs, the emergency seperations, pen building, weather protecting and doctor runs it has been and continues to be worth it. One day when I am able to get a place of my own I hope to make my bunnies into house bunnies, Bells is already well litter box trained and as soon as I think the boys are healthy enough they will be fixed and that will hopefully help them get trained better as well.
Bunnies are such fun, curious, loving pets and I am enjoyig them very much! And if you are reading this and saying, I'd love one for myself, just let me know becasue have I got a deal for you, considering I now need to find homes for two litters of baby bunnies!









No comments:
Post a Comment